3 - Beekeeping Course - Splitting Hives and Making Nucs
Splitting Hives and Making Nucs
You MUST have a minimum of 2 Years Beekeeping experience to take this course.
This course is designed to teach you how to Split a Hive to make a Nuc, Replenish your Winter Losses or Increase the Number of Hives you have with your own bees.
The Course will be held in the Bee Yard in the side yard of the shop or in one of my yards right near my property. This is hands on and you will be handling bees and doing the work. We will be doing all of the steps that need to be done to make, Splits, Nucs and Increases.
While we work we will discuss the different techniques in creating a Split. We will be requeening hives and discussing the different ways to requeen your Splits. We will identify eggs, brood and discuss how to tell age. We will select frames and reqources to perform Hive Splits in many different ways.
By the end of the Workshop you will have the knowledge to go back to your hives and make Splits and Nucs.
No longer will you have to rely on purchasing Nucs from other beekeepers to replenish your winter losses or grow the size of your Apiary. You will be able to do it all yourself with your own resources.
For the Workshop please bring the following:
- Your own Bee Suit, Bee Jacket or Veil. (when doing splits bees can get agitated)
- Your own Gloves if needed (i would suggest that you do not wear gloves if at all possible as it reduces your dexterity)
- Your own Smoker, lighting source, prefered smoker fuel. (I will have smoker fuel and a torch available)
- Dress appropriately for the days weather
- Water will be provided
Do NOT Bring:
- Hive Tools
- Used Beehive components
Book your spot for the below dates.
There will be a Maximum of 6 People attending each workshop to ensure that everyone gets the attention they need to succeed.
- Saturday, June 1, 2019 from 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm - Only 3 Spaces Left
- Saturday, June 8, 2019 from 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm - 6 Spaces Available
- Saturday, June 15, 2019 from 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm - 6 Spaces Available
- Saturday, June 22, 2019 from 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm - 6 Spaces Available
I have put the course as being 3 hours but I am available longer for questions and the Shop will be open for Attendees afterwards if you would like to purchase any Equipment or Supplies.
We hope for great sunny weather, but the workshop will continue as long as it is not raining. If there is to much rain that day to have the workshop we will reschedule for Saturday, July 6, 2019
Book your spot today.
Course must be paid for to reserve your spot. Limited space is available. Sign up now before you miss out.
Again, this course is only for those beekeepers with at least 2 years experience keeping bees. If you show up and do not have the experience required to participate you will be asked to leave so you do not hinder the other participants.
You must be 18 years of age or older to attend the course.
Courses are not refundable due to the limited space available. Please make sure you can attend on the date you select and/or the rain date prior to registering.